Classic Cabbage Rolls
500 gr ground meat (I used beed, but you can use pork or veal)
1 cup (200ml) rice
2 cloves smashed garlic
2 teaspoon marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoon tomato pasta
1. In a cooking pot , cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 minutes or until outer leaves are tender; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain. Remove the leaves and set aside to cool down.
2. In a large saucepan, saute the chopped onion in oil. Remove the pan from heat and sprinkle the onion with the paprika and black pepper, add the meat.
3. In a large bowl, combine the rice, meat, egg garlic and onion,mix it well with your clean hand until, add 1 teaspoon salt.
4. Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling, I cutted in half the leaves near the thick vein. Place a bit of meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Place seam side down on a tray.
5. Pour 2 tablespoon oil on the pot in what you will cook the cabbage, add some chopped leaves, than start to place the cabbage rolls. Put the smoked ham between the rolls.
6. Mix the tomato sauce with salt and marjoram, add 450 ml of water and pour into the pot. (Add onea teaspoon sugar if you like the sauce to be more sweet). Wash the dill and place on the cabbage rolls.(you don`t need to chop them, after the food is ready cooked, you should take out from the food)
7. Place a plate on the rolls, and put a mug onto, pour water in the mug to not fall aside. Cover the pot if you can and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, than take out the mug and cook it another 50 minutes. Taste one roll, to know if is ready, pour more water if needed.
Serve with sour cream and white bread.